Tuesday 9 February 2010

Planning a run

For the last few weeks I have been out running for the fun of it, is that right? What I mean is I've been going out for a run without really monitoring how far I go or for how long.
 
Now I have something of a routine going I wanted a good way to visualise how far I've run and start to measure my performance and hopefully the improvements I'm making.

I had a look online for a good resource that would allow me to plot my run on a map, like you can with car journeys on Google Maps, low and behold the beautiful people at Google also bring us Gmaps Pedometer.

Gmaps Pedometer allows you to quickly and easily plot your run, cycle or walk on map, it will measure the distance travelled (miles/km), elevation and even save the map for future reference, brilliant.

To create your first route, simply follow these steps:

  1. Navigate to the Gmaps Pedometer site.
  2. Enter the postcode of your start location and select your desired zoom level (I prefer level 15) and click the "GO" button. You will be centred on your start point.
  3. Now on the left click the "Start Recording" button.
  4. Now with your mouse place the crosshair on the map over your desired start point and double click with the left mouse button. This will place a marker on the map at the start of your run.
  5. Continue to choose markers along the route (double left click on the map where you want each one to be), Google will do the rest. TOP TIP: go for major road junctions for your markers.
  6. If you add a marker in the wrong place, don't worry, on the left there is an "Undo last point" button.
  7. As you plot your route you will see little markers appear along the route, these indicate the distance, you can switch between miles or kilometres on the left.
  8. If your running two a point and back again, use the "Complete there and back route" once you reach half way and Google will do the rest.
  9. Once you have your route try out some of the other features like elevation and the calorie counter.
  10. You can save the map to a URL so that you can send it to your friends, or use it again.

Gmaps Pedometer is a great little application and I will be using it to plan out all of my running routes.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to be at the point where I run just for the fun of it. :) But, at least for the next 8 months, I'll be running for a training plan.

    ReplyDelete